The Knight News Challenge accelerates media innovation by funding breakthrough ideas in news and information. Winners receive a share of $5 million in funding and support from Knight’s network of influential peers and advisors to help advance their ideas. The first round of 2013, which opens in February, will invite innovators from all disciplines to focus on tools for open government. In 2012, three challenge rounds, each focused on an emerging trend, drew more than 2,500 entries.
Challenge 1 - on NETWORKS: Winners were announced June 18.
Challenge 2 - on DATA: Winners were announced Sept. 20.
Challenge 3 – on MOBILE: Winners were announced Jan. 17.
Anyone, anywhere can apply for the challenge - whether for-profit start-ups or non-profit ventures. For more information on a variety of topics - from guidelines for for-profits, on intellectual property licensing, open source software and more - visit our FAQ.
1. What is your project? [1 sentence] Interactive, soon-to-be user content oriented news and twitter-like app following the arts, media, and odd news.
2. How will your project use mobile tools and approaches? [2 sentences]
Initially, the AMO team will run the app creating and aggregating interesting news stories. Then when followers become savvy, they can be subscribed to as mini “reporters.”
3. Who will use it and why? [1 sentence] The intellectually curious will use the app to find cultural and engaging news stories.
4. Please list three ways they would learn about your project.
1. Connecting through social media sites.
2. Eventually it will be in use by traditional news stations, papers, and blogs.
3. I would like to use YouTube or vimeo as major resources.
5. What connections have you made, or will you make, with others [communities, organizations or networks] about your project? [2 sentences]
This project is in its infancy. I plan to connect with the online social entrepreneur community.
6. What part of the project have you already built? [1-2 sentences, feel free to include links]
The project isn’t built yet, but I have videos from the past, that can give you an idea of the “different” type of content. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxL7y6IWIk&playnext=1&list=PL71E86CF19B28EB90&feature=results_video
7. What does success for your project look like? [1-2 sentences]
Success for the project would be for the app to become an intrinsic part of the conversation in the online social media world. The constant update of content will give users a gratifying “attention-filling” experience.
8. What resources do you need to succeed? [1-2 sentences]
I need the app to be built out and video equipment. I would also need to hire reporters to begin the initial constant content creating and aggregating, and also potentially to be on camera.
Please list who is on your team: Currently, me.
Expected number of months to complete project: 6 months
Estimated Project Cost: 250,000
Name: AMO Media, AMO News, or just AMO
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization [if applicable]:
How did you learn about the contest? Knight Foundation Site