The Knight News Challenge accelerates media innovation by funding breakthrough ideas in news and information. Winners receive a share of $5 million in funding and support from Knight’s network of influential peers and advisors to help advance their ideas. The first round of 2013, which opens in February, will invite innovators from all disciplines to focus on tools for open government. In 2012, three challenge rounds, each focused on an emerging trend, drew more than 2,500 entries.
Challenge 1 - on NETWORKS: Winners were announced June 18.
Challenge 2 - on DATA: Winners were announced Sept. 20.
Challenge 3 – on MOBILE: Winners were announced Jan. 17.
Anyone, anywhere can apply for the challenge - whether for-profit start-ups or non-profit ventures. For more information on a variety of topics - from guidelines for for-profits, on intellectual property licensing, open source software and more - visit our FAQ.
2. How will your project use mobile tools and approaches? [2 sentences] We propose a native iOS mobile application that will link users with The Rucksack, IAVA’s ground-breaking online tool that connects Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with local community events and transitional resources; IAVA’s blog and Twitter feeds for up-to-date news impacting the military and veterans’ community; and IAVA’s exclusive online social network for confirmed Iraq and Afghanistan vets, Community of Veterans.
3. Who will use it and why? [1 sentence] Iraq and Afghanistan veterans will use the app because of the high-quality resource and entertainment offerings, the live news updates and, most importantly, the connection with the empowered community, online and offline, through IAVA.
4. Please list three ways they would learn about your project. Iraq and Afghanistan vets would learn about our mobile app through the following:
1. IAVA’s robust network of 200,000+ members, supporters and nonprofit partners.
2. The iTunes store.
3. IAVA’s strong social media and earned media presence.
5. What connections have you made, or will you make, with others [communities, organizations or networks] about your project? [2 sentences] IAVA has made connections with various iOS and Salesforce development firms, and we plan to find a long-term development partner to manage the app through its lifecycle. We plan to utilize our strong social media community and membership, our existing relationship with the White House, the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs; and our partnerships with other veteran support organizations, nonprofits and corporations, especially technology-focused groups like Zynga and Code for America.
6. What part of the project have you already built? [1-2 sentences, feel free to include links] We’ve completed approximately two-thirds of the development and design needed to launch a first iteration of the app. We know this app will require long-term investment to stay up to date, bug free, and relevant to the evolving needs of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families.
7. What does success for your project look like? [1-2 sentences] Success looks like an empowered community of veterans (9,000 users in the first year) that is able to connect to each other, find support for themselves and their families, and secure opportunities that allow them to be successful in civilian life. Technically speaking, success is an app that is engaging, intuitive, bug-free and designed to collect rich data on what types of resources and engagement our members want and need.
8. What resources do you need to succeed? [1-2 sentences] We need a development partner on retainer to finalize the first iteration of the app and make next generation edits and upgrades, and a funding partner to finance this development and design work.
Please list who is on your team:
Sam Dorman, Nonprofit Technology Consultant
Dana Morrissey, Chief Engagement Officer
Megan Hemler, Digital Engagement Director
Expected number of months to complete project: 3-5 months for an initial launch
Estimated Project Cost: $400,000
Name: Shannon M. Carey
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization [if applicable]: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
City: New York
How did you learn about the contest? Online @ Knight Foundation